Sunday, November 12, 2017

27 Life History --- Serving in Viet Nam -- First assignment - Tuy Hoa and Don Duong

On the way to Vietnam I visited the folks, then went to Salt Lake City to do research at the Genealogical Library.  I also got my Patriarchal Blessing from the Patriarch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint. I stayed with the Kalunkis whom I knew from Fort Benning.  

Then I boarded the plane at Fairfield CA, stopped at Honolulu during the night, and arrived at Saigon the next day.  I was anxious but excited.  After a couple days at Saigon, I flew to my first assignment at Tuy Hoa, north of Cam Ranh Bay.  My engineering battalion, the 577th,  was building a road which we called I577.  A couple months later the battalion was transferred to Don Duong in the mountains just west of Cam Ranh Bay.  We built a base camp right below the Don Duong dam.  I was the supply officer for several months and frequently traveled down the winding mountain road to transact supply business at Cam Ranh Bay.  

I arrived as a 2nd Lieutenant and made Captain right before I left.

           


















Our Base at Don Duong

 We built our base on the land in front of a dam. We protected the dam.








dam we built
Storage container

(Tuy Hoa) Phu Hiep base camp

577th Engineer Battalion officers, Don Duong 1970
Building Don Duong base camp














No comments:

Post a Comment