Monday, June 11, 2018

38 Life History --- Touring Rome Italy

Trevi's Fountain
The train traveled through Switzerland at night, and I viewed the Italian countryside during the day.  I visited the USO near St. Peter’s Square and found a small room in the vicinity.  I had dinner at a nice basement restaurant with two American girls who were teaching in  Germany, whom I met on the train. I visited the traditional Rome historical sites, including St Peter’s basilica, and attended Easter Mass in St Peter’s Square - along with about a hundred other people.  I arrived early and got a position near the front, where I got a good view of the Pope and the visiting dignitaries. I was in Rome for a week.


Easter at St. Peter's in Vatican 1970





















monument to Victor Emmanuel II
Roman ruins





inside Pantheon

The Pantheon









Colosseum floor


Colosseum

Colosseum floor
Colosseum





Roman Forum ruins




























Trinita dei Monti




The Capital











The Mouth of Truth











the Holy Stairs

Egyptian obelisk near St. John's

cypress & bronze door of St John's 1000 AD


ashes of Peter & Paul in St John's








National art museum

Moses by Michelangelo St. Peter's square Vincoli

basement restaurant Rome


Trevi's Fountain





St. John's Basilica





Spanish square





La Pieta in St. Peter's

St. Peter Basilica, Rome

St. Peter's square

around the Vatican

St. Peter's in Vatican

sentry post & Vatican wall

Easter at St. Peter's square


The Pope




Sistine chapel by Michelangelo



galery of geographical maps Vatican

dome in St. Peter's in Vatican

Pope Paolo VI

St. Peter's Cathedral in Vatican

St Peter square; I had room just off avenue on right



Basilica of St. Peter in Vatican





No comments:

Post a Comment