Wednesday, March 21, 2018

15 Life History --- 1962 High School in Licking Missouri

Ken and Gary studying
I enjoyed acting and had some small parts in a couple of the Licking High School plays. The speech teacher was the director. I enjoyed his speech class and the dramatic interpretation class that I later took at Southwest Missouri State College (SMS).










I also enjoyed running the mile on the high school track team. I was not especially fast, but in a school that small (69 graduated in my class), it was not a great challenge to make the team: only three of us ran the mile. I ran in only one track meet. I placed third (5:30), but only because the other school did not have a miler, though they did press a half-miler into service to compete in the mile. So, we three swept the mile race.
Mel and Ken studying

Ken Merrick
Harry Miller and I played a lot of chess at lunch times. He usually beat me, but not always. We were also selected to attend a math competition together, along with some others, where he did much better than I did. My best high school friends were Jim Hagler, Tom Derrickson, and Harry, along with Herman Hall, Janey Ellis, and Beth Kofahl.

We returned for my 30th high school graduation reunion in 1994. We met Cathy and Mel in Licking and went out and visited the old farm.
Garrett and Mel in front of their old home



















I was having postal training not far away in 2004 so I visited Licking and went to the high school reunion.



Licking High School








our old barn


our old house



road to our farm








house of Mr Roffe who hired Dad to work for him







No comments:

Post a Comment