Monday, March 19, 2018

22 Life History --- Motorcycle Trip to California

Garrett Merrick

LeMerle and John Cochran
One Christmas I rode the motorcycle to visit the Cochrans in Bakersfield CA. They took me to Knotts Berry Farm, and we had other good times. I returned via Phoenix and Albuquerque. However, heading north out of Albuquerque, I made a poor choice and turned east toward Lubbock TX. It so happened that this road crossed a 9000 foot high mountain pass. Unfortunately, it also began to snow when I neared the top! I struggled slowly on until I came to a small town late at night, where I slept behind a gas station. The storm ended, but I still had to slowly navigatge icy roads down to Lubbock. Heading out of Lubbock I slipped and broke the motorcycle clutch handle. My traveling spirit broke, too. I knew some Springfield church members frequently visited Lubbock, so I contacted some church members who knew them and would store my motorcycle until they could haul it back to Springfield for me on their next visit. A young family named Leuck was kind enough to put me up for a couple days before I rode the bus back.



Garrett Merrick at Knox Berry Farm

John Cochran













No comments:

Post a Comment