Monday, March 19, 2018

17 Life History -- 1964 SMS (Southwest Missouri State)



After I graduated from Licking High School in May 1964, one of the school counselors helped me get a job as a secretary at SMS and an apartment in Springfield. I was extremely anxious to leave home, so I enrolled for summer term and left Licking just a few days after graduation. Mom was quite sad and concerned, but I knew she understood. I hitchhiked and was picked up by a trucker. I found my way to 920 S. National Avenue, where I shared an apartment with a student several years my senior (I think his name was David). We roomed together for a year, then I shared another apartment in the same building with Tom Tiefke, an LDS friend. Next, I lived with a German family, the Ruf’s, for two years while Gerhard, their son, was on his mission (two years of service as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

I bounced my first check while attending SMS, but very few since. I was in a service fraternity.
Dr James Pollard in  1976


 I
worked as a secretary at $0.70 an hour for Drs. Martin and James Pollard in the educational psychology department. Dr. Wise loved to play jacks, and we did so on occasion. At a youth conference Mary Ellen and I won a dance contest - Not that I was a good dancer, but because she was smart enough to know that the judges wanted to see a swing, and we were the only ones dancing a swing!




Honor Ribbon 


I graduated from SMS in January 1968, with a degree in chemistry and secondary education, and a commission as a second lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers.

I was receiving some postal training not far away so I visited SMS in 2004.

Mr Pollard in 2004




























House I rented a room in when I was at SMS




Church I attended




No comments:

Post a Comment