Monday, March 19, 2018

11 Life History --- 1958 Joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


In the summer of 1958, Dad invited the LDS missionaries to teach us. We were living in our converted-a-motel apartment, the Alhambra Apartments.  I believed them from the first. Their lessons made good sense to me, especially about the Gospel being lost and restored.  I don’t remember much of the lessons, but I remember the feeling that “this is true”.  It must have been the testifying from the Holy Ghost, because I have always remembered my testimony of its truth.  I believe one of the missionaries was named Sidney Johnson.  Our whole family was baptized on September 9 September 1958.


As I was approaching twelve and would be going into MIA* in three months, I decided not to attend Primary**. I was told that memorizing the Articles of Faith*** was a requirement for graduating from Primary.  I didn’t want to work at memorizing them, so I avoided the problem by not going to Primary and waiting until I was twelve and attended Young Mens.  I later repented and memorized them in October 1993, only thirty-five years late.  In my old age wisdom I have now learned that I love to memorize - it’s my hobby!  I know my Articles of Faith, Declaration of Independence, and many other things.



* MIA - Mutual Improvement Association - this was the youth organization for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at this time. Now it is called Young Men and Young Women.

** Primary - is the children's organization for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

*** Articles of Faith - 13 short statements which explain the basic beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints












No comments:

Post a Comment