Monday, March 19, 2018

21 Life History --- ROTC

Cadet Garrett Merrick
I chose to enroll in advanced ROTC* (the first two years were mandatory) since it was during the
height of the Vietnam war. For right now I had an educational deferment, but we all knew that most of us would be drafted right after graduation.  If I had to go, I intended to go as an officer! However, my ROTC motivation was low, and I was a rather casual cadet. I rode my motorcycle to ROTC summer camp at Fort Sill Oklahoma. I did well at camp, especially in the physical fitness events. I ran a six minute mile, but just barely.






*ROTC PROGRAMS
Founded in 1916, ROTC stands for Reserve Officer Training Corps. It’s a college program offered at over 1,700 colleges and universities across the United States that prepares young adults to become officers in the U.S. Military. In exchange for a paid college education and a guaranteed post-college career, cadets commit to serve in the Military after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment