Friday, February 12, 2021

Blessings in Disguise

 Some of our blessings didn’t seem like blessings at first.


In high school, I wasn’t able to take drivers education during the school year and had to go to summer school. This is where I met my good friend, Mary who introduced me to the Church. 


In 1981, we were trying to go to my mother’s home in Pocatello, Idaho for Christmas, but a blizzard made us turn back. We got home just in time to find electricity arcing in our attic. The family of seven Cambodians who were living with us were saved from possible death, and our home didn’t burn down. 


I have had poor health all my life and many allergies. It gave me an opportunity to become more assertive and become closer to my husband. Our children also learned how to do many things and knew that we really needed their help. 


Laura couldn’t go into the high school because they were doing construction in the building and it made her ill. She ended up taking her classes at Utah Valley State College and graduating a year early. She made it so that she was able to get her Business degree before she married her husband, Theon Laney.


Our old freezer quit working, but Garrett was able to fix it. This gave him the experience he needed to pass the test for the maintenance position at the post office. 

He didn’t pass the maintenance test the first time, but we didn’t know that he would have to be gone for training for several weeks if he had passed it. Garrett was home for Dan’s last year of high school and passed the test the next year when Dan was on his own. 


I was very ill before we moved to the St George area. I could only gag down baby food and could barely move. This caused me to pray and seek the Lord’s help which led to us moving to Washington, Utah. My health is much better here and we now have the opportunity to live near our daughter and her family. 


After our children were no longer at home, I tried for teaching positions in our school district. I didn’t get the 4th grade teaching position I thought I wanted. Soon I realized that I really didn’t want so much pressure at my stage in life and didn’t want the job. 


We had to no longer have our son in the Fix-It Fellow business with us, but this got him started in his own business which was just what he needed. 


Many blessings just take time to realize that they are truly blessings. I’m grateful for a wise Heavenly Father who knows what is best for us even when we don’t. 











No comments:

Post a Comment