Saturday, February 13, 2021

Our Family - Winter

 Skiing by Garrett Merrick

In December 1990 I bought some skis and boots at the pawn shop for me and David. We began ungracefully skiing on the south Mapleton hills. Laura and Daniel brought their sleds; Julene came occasionally; and Sherry skied once with us. In February 1992 I got brave enough to drive the old yellow van up to Sundance and try skiing on a real slope. I had little skill, but I loved it! I took David with me the next season after I was sure that he could perform a snowplow stop. We also continued skiing and sledding on the south Mapleton hills. By the next season Laura was ready to accompany me to Sundance, David being on his mission. I had Daniel take the Mapleton school ski class in January 1994, so he began skiing with me and Laura that year. I switched to smaller skis (to match my ability!) on 4 January 1997 and was able to ski much better than previously; I almost looked like a real skier! We three had an awesome ski day: twenty runs, and we all did very well.


By Cheryl Merrick

As soon as it got down below freezing for a few days, Garrett put black plastic over part of the driveway with boards along the sides. He filled this area with water and it froze overnight. Laura especially loved to ice skate. Once David made a snow slide from the tower onto the ice rink. They had a great time going down it.



The kids liked to make snowmen, go sledding on the hills in south Mapleton, build snow forts, and chase each other in the snow. Garrett and the kids also shoveled snow. David worked hard and spent many hours moving snow off our walks. 



Later, Laura and Dan went skiing with their Dad at Sundance ski resort in Provo Canyon. Afterwards, they had hot coco. 



Sometimes we went bowling at BYU, to an indoor amusement park, to the children’s museum, or Temple Square in Salt Lake. Julene’s favorite thing to do was to go to see the Nutcracker ballet at BYU. 



Garrett and the kids liked to bake on cold winter days. They had fun making donuts, cookies, and gingerbread houses. Sometimes they all went down to Dad’s shop and made things out of wood. 



Of course, the main event in winter was Christmas. The other holidays such as New Years with the Rose Parade, and Valentine’s Day when shoe boxes transformed into Valentine boxes to hold cards and candy, helped to make this a fun time of year.



After the kids were on their own, I enjoyed watching the birds come to the feeder Dan gave me for Mother’s day. Garrett continued to go skiing at Sundance ski resort in Provo, Canyon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment