Friday, February 12, 2021

Our Family - Marriage and First Four Years

 by Garrett Merrick

[I asked Cheryl to our ward’s Gold and Green Ball on] 3 March 1972. I saw her most every day after that, and asked her to marry me on 25 May 1972, just before she returned home to California for a month. 


While she was gone, I bought a home building lot in West Jordan. She returned in July to complete her last class, and we were married in the Oakland Temple on 23 August 1972.


We lived in Provo while I completed my degree and had two children before we moved to Mapleton in 1976 and had two more children.


We lived our first four years in a 10'x50' trailer in south Provo. Julene was born 15 July 1973, and David on 6 Sept 1974.3 March 1972. 


I met and married Cheryl Groom. We lived in Provo while I completed my degree [in Building Construction] and had two children before we moved to Mapleton in 1976 and had two more children.


From Cheryl 

Garrett and I were married and sealed for all eternity on August 23, 1972 at the Oakland Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Oakland, California. An Open House was held at the home of my mom and step-father, Lew & Arlene Pearson, in nearby Lafayette, California.


For our honeymoon, we spent our first couple of days in San Francisco then drove slowly up the California coast, across Oregon, into Idaho, then down to Provo, Utah.


We had an Open House in Provo for our friends at the home of our Bishop. We always appreciated Bishop White and Sister White’s kindness in allowing us to have our open house on their patio. 

Garrett bought a two acre building lot for our future home in West Jordan, Utah near Salt Lake. We are planning on moving there after Garrett builds our home there. This will save him from having to commute to work at the Post office in Salt Lake.


No comments:

Post a Comment