Saturday, February 13, 2021

Our Family - Celebrating Thanksgiving

 By Cheryl Merrick

By Thanksgiving the leaves had fallen and the walnuts were gathered in, leaving only bare branches reaching into a cold sky. Inside, it was warm in the kitchen as we each worked together making our fall feast. Garrett wrestled the turkey into the roaster and stuffed it. David was our potato peeler and masher. Laura liked to make the mild pumpkin pies we liked. I pureed the sweet potato and pineapple together and got a green vegetable ready. Julene made the fruit salad, and Dan got the rolls on. We put on our best tablecloth and got out our china and stemware. Finally, we were ready!


Before we ate, Garrett said a prayer and asked each of us what we were thankful for. That was my favorite part. Token amounts of the sides were eaten, but the turkey wasn’t touched. Then they got seriously into their main course, pie! We always had several types of pie such as pumpkin, chocolate, and apple.  


By the time our kids grew up, I didn’t want to cook a turkey anymore just so it could be a traditional Thanksgiving decoration. I also soon realized that making an entire large Thanksgiving dinner by myself wasn’t very fun. So when our children and their families came for Thanksgiving, we asked them each to bring a side dish. 


We have had a few Thanksgiving dinners with our daughter’s family, but usually it is just Garrett and me.  Since I have so many food allergies that I can’t eat out, Garrett and I usually just go somewhere on Thanksgiving such as the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. We enjoy just being together and have a wonderful day remembering all we are thankful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment